Ukunda, Kenya – Safaris, Beaches and Sea Diving
Ukunda is one of the lesser known tourist getaways in Kenya. Located 30 kms from the larger city of Mombasa in the Kwale District, Ukunda stretches along the Indian Ocean. Town of Ukunda borders Tanzania making it a good spot to relax while travelling both Kenya and Tanzania. Recent boom in African tourism has transformed Ukunda from a fisherman’s village to a popular beach vacation destination.
Being in Kenya, Ukunda is not short of wildlife attractions. Your safari options are as follows. (1) Tsavo East National Park known for its lion safari. (2) Shimba Hills National Reserve (3) Amboselline National Park. these are all well know for the big cats, herds of wildebeests, zebras, African elephants, rhinos and many more.
The most famous beach in the region is Diana Beach and to make it easier the best hotels are located along Diana beach. Diana Beach is a favourite summer spot for locals and tourists alike. Kite-surfing at Diani Beach is popular. You can read more about Diana Beach. Another less common beach is Tiwi Beach. Sea diving and Deep sea fishing are other leisure sports at the beach.
There many hoteals. Below are the options you have for a good stay.
- Southern Palms Beach Resort (at Diani Road in Ukunda) - Situated along the beautiful white sandy shores of the Indian Ocean at Diani Beach, 35 Km South of Mombasa.
- Diani Reef Beach Resort & Spa (at Diani Beach Road)
- Hillpark Hotel – this one is located in Tiwi Beach, Ukunda
- Diani Breeze Villas (at Diani Beach Road Pass in Ukunda)
- Tropical Garden – Located in Galu which is approximately 3.9 km
Flights to Ukunda Airport, Car Hire
There is an Ukunda Airport, but for travellers coming from outside the country the Mombasa Airport is the landing point. Once you land, unless you are with an organized tour you will need to hire a car. Below is a list of options.
- Mombasa car rental (26 km from Ukunda)
- Mombasa – Airport car rental (28 km from Ukunda)