The Great Sphinx of Giza, Egypt
Ranked #2 in Great Pyramids of Egypt.
Ranked #5 in Egypt Tourism
Sphinx is a mythical creature with the body of lion, large wings and face of a woman. The Great of Giza was built as a symbol of mystical power and divinity. Along with the 3 Great pyramids of Giza it became a symbol of power.
The Great Sphinx of Giza Facts
- Largest monolith statue in the world
- Built in: 2558–2532 BC
- Size: 73.5 metres long, 19.3 metres wide, and 20.22 metres high
- Built by: Pharaoh Khafra
- Historical relevance: A symbol of power, possibly worship
- Made of: Limestone
- Latest period of restoration: 1980′s
- Debate: Many stories of the missing nose and possibility of a beard