Hohenschwangau Castle, Germany
Ranked #3 in Famous German Castles
Ranked #10 in Germany Tourism
Hohenschwangau Castle is a famous castle located in the state of Bavaria, Germany. Once a favorite adobe of the royal family of Germany. It was built on top of the ruins of fortress Schuangau. King Maximilian II who built the castle liked the place so much that after its initial construction, he continued to expand it.
If you like medieval castles and history you must see Neuschwanstein Castle in Germany – its most famous castle.
Hohenschwangau Castle Facts
- Bulit in: 1837, added extensions in 1855
- Bulit by: King Maximilian II of Bavaria
- Architect: Domenico Quaglio, Joseph Daniel Ohlmüller, Georg Friedrich Ziebland
- Past Residents: King Maximilian II, his wife Marie of Prussia, his sons King Ludwig & King Otto
- Opening hours: 9 AM to 6 PM (April to Sep), 10 AM to 4 PM (Oct to March)